Thursday, April 16, 2020

Spring 2020 ...and remembering Sister Barbara.

Family, Friends, and Faith

Last month, the world lost a beautiful soul...my sister, Sister Barbara.

Co-writing her memoir took me on a different journey, other than my usual historical fiction, and became a labor of love.


  Family, Friends, and Faith - an inspirational memoir of how one woman made a difference in thousands of lives.


Sister Mary Barbara Eppich O.S.U.



An Ursuline Sister for more than sixty years, she dedicated her life to living at the feet of Jesus and sharing his love to all who met her.

Sister Barbara entered the Ursuline Sisters of Cleveland, Ohio in 1954. I was five years old and she was eighteen. In her early eighties, whenever I had a chance to visit with her in Ohio, she relived the challenges she encountered within the confines of the paternalistic Catholic Church. I recorded her words on audio, captured her thoughts with my written notes, and gleaned her feelings from her journals. We crafted her story together through love, laughter, and tears. She recalled that without the kindness of the Ursulines, she could not have experienced the pure joy of teaching so many young children, who in their simple ways, made her laugh, and oftentimes taught her life lessons.

Early years showing her love of music and teaching children.

We combined our words into a simple story of family, friends, and faith. Sister Barbara's words are printed in italics. My thoughts are interspersed in chapters relating my memories and commenting on the culture that surrounded Sister Barbara throughout her life of giving.

Were doors closed to her? Yes.

Why did she stay as an Ursuline sister? 

This is the story of an ordinary person who has done extraordinary things. I hope that after reading her memoir, you will find one idea that will inspire or enlighten you.

I am what I am because of the people in my life. S.M.B.



Stories are the way into our lives.  S.M.B 

Family, Friends, and Faith is currently available

FREE to read as an ebook on Kindle Unlimited

through  Amazon

and paperback Amazon 

 Struna Galleries online

Proceeds from the sale of this book are donated to Ursuline Sisters of Cleveland. If you would like to make a donation, you may do so at

Ursuline Sisters of Cleveland


 

No comments:

Post a Comment