Thursday, March 24, 2022

Geocaching continued... What is it?


The above picture depicts the bottom of a geocache found in Millbury, MA

In my opinion, it's an adventure with a side of suspense and fun.

Officially, geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location. Geocaching was founded by Matt Stum on May 30, 2000. Today there are over three million+ geocaches hidden in 190 countries.

Sounds technical and yet, people of all ages and education are geocaching. My youngest daughter introduced me to it a few years ago but I never followed through with her suggestions of, "Try it. You'll like it!"

I should have listened to her back in 2016 because a few years after, I became hooked and so did my husband, Tim.

We've been adventuring almost every day. Sometimes we find a cache that is less than an inch long and inside is a small paper log to record your name and the date of when you found it.

Mini-cache



Mid-size cache wrapped with a magnet and hidden, but we found it.


When I tell people about our outings, they ask, "What did you find? What kind of treasure?"
I answer, "I didn't find anything that's worth anything!"  Everyone laughs and I explain.

It's not about the treasure, it's about the thrill of the journey. It's the suspenseful searching through the woods, old paths, and back roads of where you live or visit. It's about using your observation skills and problem solving, following GPS co-ordinates and solving a puzzle.

 GPS leads us into the woods.


Searching with some help from a friend visiting Cape Cod.  

 Recently, Tim and I have returned to the woods to search. Local Nickerson Park is full of geocaches. 

 

My latest explore

 

You need to be curious, adventuresome, and determined. Just like Nancy Caldwell, modern day amateur sleuth, who is the main character in all my historical novels.

As you read the stories, Nancy Caldwell finds something in present day and then in the next chapter, you'll meet the person and the 'who' or 'what' behind what Nancy found. The story unfolds in alternating chapters between time periods.

If you love a suspenseful adventure with touches of romance about Cape Cod, 18th century pirates, 1947 Hollywood starlets, serial killers, and the Alaska Gold Rush, choose The Old Cape Series.


BUY

BUY
BUY

 

BUY
 

If you've already read them, Thank You!

If you have time, I would appreciate a review, either on Amazon or Goodreads. Reviews always help authors. Have a great Spring!



1 comment:

  1. My name is Renee. I visited the Cape (Brewster) in August 2022. I hadn’t been to the Cape in well over 30 years. I stopped at a craft fair and met the most amazing person Barbara Struna. We chatted briefly about her books (of which I bought The Cape House). I was immediately intrigued and started reading. The book is amazing, I read it in 2 days! While driving to PTown I passed her home and had to turn around. I was able
    To chat with Barbara about the mystery and found her to be warm, inviting and I felt so at home. I bought the next book, finished that in one day and went back for the last two. Amazing writer, brings you right in to the story and makes you feel like you want the be part of her life! Thank you Barbara for your chats and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete